• Taking Control of Goods

    Call Us Now on 020 7118 3100

Taking Control of Goods

For most types of debt, our Enforcement Officers can only take control of the customer’s goods, including goods jointly owned. To take control of goods, our Enforcement Officers must have access to them. Our Enforcement Officers will only look to take control of goods if, when sold, they will raise enough money to cover the cost of removal, storage, sale and pay off a “reasonable” amount of the debt.

High Court Enforcement

Our High Court Enforcement service is one of the most effective enforcement options available to a judgment creditor and is ideal where the defendant has goods of value but is refusing to pay. High Court Enforcement Officers are court officers who are authorised to enforce most County Court and all High Court judgment debts. Formerly known as sheriffs, High Court Enforcement Officers can enforce judgment debts by taking control of and removing goods belonging to the defendant if payment is not forthcoming. This provides significant leverage to the creditor and increases the likelihood of payment. For more details on enforcing money judgments in the High Court, please call us on 0333 344 2109. As our Principal High Court Enforcement Officer is authorised by the Ministry of Justice, we are able to enforce judgments of the High Court and County Courts. We have Enforcement Officers based throughout England and Wales and all of our officers are certificated bailiffs. Our Account Management and client services teams are located at our offices in Central London and Camberley, Surrey.

The Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013

On April 6th 2014, The Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013 were introduced. These regulations affect the enforcement of money judgments in the High Court as well as the recovery of commercial rent arrears. For more information on the changes introduced, please see our article – The Introduction of the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013.

Controlled Goods Agreement

What is a Controlled Goods Agreement?

A controlled goods agreement is a formal agreement between the Enforcement Officer and the defendant to give the defendant time to repay the debt. It allows the defendant to keep their assets but they remain under the control of the Enforcement Officer while the agreement is in place. This allows the defendant to continue to use the goods as long as they stick to the agreement, which could be a pre-agreed payment arrangement or a one-off settlement by an agreed date. Where a controlled goods agreement is put in place, a defendant cannot sell or give away the goods as they are under control of the Enforcement Officer.

What happens if a defendant does not keep to the Controlled Goods Agreement?

If a defendant does not stick to the controlled goods agreement, the Enforcement Officer can return and remove the assets listed on the controlled goods agreement and prepare for sale at auction. However, before the Enforcement Officers goes back, the defendant will be sent a notice of intention to re-enter the premises.

What will a Controlled Goods Agreement include?

A controlled goods agreement will include:

  • An inventory (list of items under control)
  • The Enforcement Officer’s signature
  • The defendant’s signature (or someone with permission to act on their behalf – in this case, a copy needs to be left for the defendant)
  • Commercial Credit Team of the Year 2015

    Burlington were winners for Credit Today awards 2015

  • Voted Enforcement Team of the Year

    Burlington were voted Enforcement Team of the Year at the Debt collection Awards 2014

Live Chat Now!

Get real time answers now by chatting to one of our Enforcement Advisors on our Live Chat

Arrange a Call Back

Provide your phone number and will give you a call right back

This website uses cookies (small text files placed on your computer) to provides us with useful information and helps you use the site more effectively with optimum functionality.
For further information regarding use of cookies, please click here.

*03 Numbers cost the same to call as an 01 or 02 phone number. The cost varies varies depending on the network operator, but most landline and mobile providers offer free call packages and these always include calls to 03 numbers. It is also possible to call an 03 number from abroad.

Burlington Credit Limited is registered in England and Wales number 5397925. Registered Office: Embassy House, 60 Church Street, Birmingham, B3 2DJ.

Burlington Credit Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register number: 625709.

Burlington Credit Limited is regulated by the Solicitors' Regulation Authority of England and Wales and our professional code of conduct can be accessed at http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/content.page

A list of the members and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at our registered office.