New here? Register. ×

Evicting Squatters

Evicting Squatters

How To Evict Squatters

If you have squatters in your premises, you may need to obtain an order for possession before you can take back the property.

As High Court Enforcement Officers, Burlington are able to enforce orders for possession issued in England and Wales. Our Principal High Court Enforcement Officer is authorised by the Ministry of Justice to enforce orders from the County Court and the High Court.

If you already have a County Court order against squatters (an order directed against ‘Persons unknown’), we can transfer the matter for enforcement very easily. All we will need is permission from the issuing County Court using court form n293a (available in the downloads area of our website).

How long will it take?

Enforcing an order for possession using High Court Enforcement Officers can be quicker than waiting for an available appointment for a County Court bailiff to attend.

Once you have obtained the possession order and permission to transfer (form n293a), we can arrange for the drafting and sealing of a writ of possession immediately. Our Central London Judgment Enforcement Office is based directly opposite the Royal Courts of Justice at 227-228 Strand, London WC2R 1BE. Our convenient location means that we can process writs for sealing on the day of instruction.

We can enforce writs of possession immediately, which means that we can carry out evictions within 24 hours of the writ being sealed.

What will you do once the writ is obtained?

Adam on phone, Burlington enforcement services

Once we have received the writ, our Enforcement Officers will be dispatched to attend the enforcement address. We will require any occupant(s) to leave and will post the relevant notices confirming our instruction and remit. We will arrange for a locksmith to attend in order to help gain possession (if necessary) and to change locks.

Once vacant possession is obtained we will advise our client accordingly. We may also make some recommendations in relation to securing the premises on an ongoing basis. Through our network of contractors we can provide shuttering and alarm services to help protect premises from unauthorised entry.

How much will it cost?

When we apply for a writ there is a £66.00 disbursement payable to HM Courts and Tribunal Service. This disbursement must be paid in advance.

Our fees are calculated on a ‘time spent’ basis and will therefore vary with the nature of the instruction, however, as a rough guide the following points will build the invoice –

  • £375+VAT attendance fee per Enforcement Officer, includes the first hour on site
  • £120+VAT hourly rate per Enforcement Officer after the first hour
  • £300+VAT (approx) per recovery truck for removal if required

*Note; as a duty of care to our Enforcement Officers we will look to send one Enforcement Officer for approx every four persons to be removed.

Our rates are extremely competitive and we will be able to give you an indication as to our level of fees prior to undertaking your instruction. Please contact our Client Services Team for a quotation on 0330 900 8000.

How do I instruct Burlington?

To instruct us please complete this online instruction form.

Please remember that you can contact our Client Services Team on 0330 900 8000 for further information or to discuss the merits of your case.

Please note that in addition to your completed order form, we will also require:

  • A copy of the order you need us to enforce
  • Payment of the HM Courts and Tribunal Service disbursement (if you need us to obtain a writ on your behalf)